My oldest son, Dominick, recently turned three and although there may be other three year olds still sleeping in their cribs, I feel like his big boy room makeover is way overdue.
Here's what it looks like now...
Not my favorite room in the house, but it serves it's purpose.
Part of the reason this makeover has been put on hold was due to budget {in case no one ever mentioned it before, the first year of owning a shoppe is pretty lean}, but the main reason was that I continued to change my mind on how I wanted his room to look. I have no problem making decisions on things to put in the shoppe and I'm fairly quick on coming up with a room plan for someone else's home, but making decorating decisions in my own home always seems to be a longer process.
Sometimes it just takes a little inspiration to get my creative juices flowing. That little bit of inspiration I was looking for came during a recent trip to HomeGoods when I found these Ralph Lauren pillow cases.
Two pillow cases for $35 definitely wasn't the deal of the century, but they were the perfect pattern and colors to get the ideas churning in my head.
Here's what I came up with...
And here are the details:
1 - I'm planning to frame out a portion of wall space and paint it with colored chalkboard paint. Loving the red in this pic, but I may end up going with green.
2 - Three euro-shams in blue ticking. Why three? Because of the layout of this room, we're more than likely going to go with a daybed style twin bed so that we can float it on the wall where the crib currently is. The euro shams will go against the wall. I was really hoping to do a twin bed to the right of the window, but there's only 38" there and almost all twin bed frames are at least 41" wide. Not to mention I want the curtain panels on the window to touch the ground and a bed overlapping the window would mean shades only.
3 - I ordered two of these pillows from West Elm. Loving the color combinations.
4 - Walls to be painted Martha Stewart's Sharkey Gray.
5 - I also ordered this throw from West Elm. I just so happened to time my West Elm purchases perfectly - 20% off on all throws and free shipping on all purchases the day I ordered.
6 - The Byholma chest from Ikea. Perfect toy storage.
7 - Simple linen curtain panels {Aina} from Ikea, but my plan is to put some sort of trim on the edges.
8 - And I'll be painting the dresser or the bed {depending on which bed we end up with} in Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Flow Blue.
One other thing I'd like to do is change out the bi-fold closet door for one of these...
That my be a hard sell with my hubby, but I'm going to try. Should be simple enough, right? ;)
xo, Rachel


20 comments:
Post a Comment