Now that Amy and I have joined forces, we're working on defining our design styles. We definitely know what our styles are, but we're in the process of coming up with a few words to describe them. Of course I could just jot a few words down on a piece of paper and call it a day, but being the nutcase that I am, I have to make this an all-day activity. Enter the following things:
✦ cute binders
✦ page protectors
✦ magazines & tear sheets
I picked up the binders and page protectors at Target.
I pulled out piles and piles of new and old decor magazines. I look forward to the Country Living 'white issue' every year. The one below is from January 2011 and is still one of my all time favorites.
I tore out all of the pages that I had dogeared over the last several months. Every so often I do this and put them in a file box labeled 'inspiration'. There's the box on the right in the pic below.
I filled all three binders and still had a small stack of tear sheets in my inspiration box, which I'll continue to add to as I come across images that I love.
Looking back over all of the images I've collected over the last few years basically confirmed what I already knew to be true about my design style. I love all things white, warm, and inviting, rooms that look collected over time, a fresh mix of vintage and modern, timeless elements, and a light and airy palette. I'm going to sum that all up by calling my style cottage-cozy-chic.
If you are looking to define your design style or maybe you're just looking for which direction you might like to take in your own home, I highly suggest this method. It really allowed me to see what rooms/looks I gravitate towards time and time again.
Amy's up next, so stay tuned for her post where she'll sum up her style in just a few words. We have such similar design styles, but with very slight differences. Luckily, we happen to think those differences complement one another ;)


8 comments:
Post a Comment