home about events design services portfolio find us shop

Amy: tailored-english-heritage

11.05.2012

It has always been a challenge for me to nail down who I am, for my style is quite a composite of  influences. What I seem to always come back to, however, are elements of English design. That, along with my own heritage, as well as the fabric of the buildings and objects around me have strongly influenced my design vocabulary and sentiment. My most cherished things are those with a story to tell, and well-loved family heirlooms.



My home is classic, layered, and balanced (not quite symmetrical). My signature style is a balanced mix of feminine and masculine- a light neutral foundation with a few pops of my favorite colors (particularly muted aqua). I love design elements that add punctuation to a space, and I like to choose timeless pieces that speak to me. It is important to me that my space be functional and comfortable, as well as beautiful.



Certain materials and shapes speak to me- soapstone, dark stained barley twist or bobbin wood furniture, floral Palampore and damask printed linen, ticking stripes, patina-ed leather, woven baskets,  aqua glass, dried hydrangeas, old books, nail-head studded upholstery, painted wood, aged metals. And did I mention I have a wee bit of a thing for dishes?



In essence, my style is an evolved one, incorporating things from my family's past, old (and new) objects found and culled over the years, and little pops of modern life here and there. Even as my rooms change, they remain grounded in these essential things. I look forward to showing you some works in progress, and plans for future spaces!


 

 

2 comments:

Post a Comment